Open a Payroll
To begin processing a new payroll:
- Go to the Payroll > 1. Open.
- If required, change the date in the Date of payment field.
- Select the Open a new Payroll button.
This article covers:
- Opening one or more pay frequencies
- Opening a one-off or out of cycle payroll
- Entering special pays
- Changing an open payroll
- Completing payrolls in advance
One Frequency (for example, weekly pay)
Select the Open a new Weekly payroll button.
Note: In the first payroll, the normal pay day date and paid up to date are both set to roll forward automatically each frequency.
Multiple Frequency (for example, weekly pay and a fortnightly pay)
Choose the pay day date, then the frequencies you need to pay, and select the Open a new Payroll button.
Note: In the first payroll, the 'paid to' dates are set for the system to roll forward after each payroll.
Each Payroll You Will See
- Date of payment - The date the employee has access to the money.
- Confirm by date - The date the payroll has to be confirmed in CloudPayroll for banking to be completed by the due Pay Day date.
- Paid to date - The date the employee is paid up to in the payroll.
Sometimes it is necessary to run a payroll outside of the normal weekly / fortnightly / monthly cycle. To run such a payroll:
- Go to Payroll > 1. Open.
- Select One-off Payroll from the sub-menu.
- In the Date of payment field, enter the date the employee(s) will be paid.
- Select the Open a One-Off payroll button
The 'Add' page is displayed.
- Select the employee(s) you wish to pay, then select the Add Selected button.
The 'Timesheet Entry' page is displayed.
Note: If there were multiple employees selected, the timesheet displayed is the first employee in the list (left side of timesheet). To change to another employee, select the employee you require from the list.
Note: The system will not calculate the tax correctly in an 'Out of Cycle' One-Off Payroll if you are paying an employee extra Ordinary Time, Overtime, or allowances that should have been included in the last pay You will need to:
- Take note of the amounts of PAYG the employee paid in the payroll they were underpaid.
- Work out the amounts of PAYG the employee would have paid in that payroll if these payments had not been missed. On the employee’s timesheet add the pay elements you paid them + the pay elements you owe them. Now take note of the PAYG amounts, as they are the total amounts they should pay.
- The amounts they should have paid (B) less the amount they have paid (A) = the override PAYG amounts (C).
- Now delete the pay elements already paid to them, then click on the PAYG transactions and override PAYG amounts to the difference (B) — (A) = (C)
Special Pays may be run for many reasons, for example:
- Bonus payments
- Termination pay
- Advance payrolls
- Manual pays
- Overpayments and recovery
When entering Special Pays, you may want to start with 'empty' Timesheets. For example, when making one-off bonus payments you will want an 'empty' timesheet that doesn't include the employee's Ordinary Time or any deductions (such as second bank accounts or union fees).
To add an 'empty' timesheet, choose the Special Pay ('Empty' Timesheet) option as above on the 'Add an empoloyee's Timesheet' page. This will save you having to manually delete the extra transactions.
After a payroll has been opened, you then normally proceed to Enter, Check and Confirm the payroll.
However, sometimes it will be necessary to change the original payroll options.
- The Pay Day (or other dates) can be changed.
- The entire payroll can be deleted, if it is no longer required.
To make these changes:
- Go to Payroll > 1. Open.
- Select More Options from the sub-menu.
- Change the pay day or other information as you require.
- Select either:
- Open a new Payroll - deletes the original payroll you created and have perhaps made changes to.
- Save Changes - changes the date of the payroll and saves changes without deleting any changes to '2. Enter' that you have made.
Important: If you press the 'Open a new Payroll' button, your current payroll, including any timesheets you have entered, will be deleted.
Future payrolls can be created and run in advance as follows:
- Open a new Payroll, entering your future Pay Day.
- Enter, Check and Confirm your payroll as usual.
- Contact us and we will close this payroll immediately so you can open your next normal or advanced payroll. We will create your banking files dated in advance so the payroll will still be paid on the correct date.
Note: Once the payroll has been closed, no transactions in this payroll can be changed. You can make any changes in a new pay run.